Following discussions with Somerset Highways today, this is the most up-to-date information that we have about the closures, and timescales.
Library Junction and the High Street
- The southern end of Coombe Street will remain closed, 24/7, until 11 August 2023.
- Once Coombe Street has re-opened, the High Street will be closed, but only from the Library Junction for about 56 m west, from 12 to 25 August.
- This will be a daytime closure from 9.30 to 17.00. The street will be open as normal overnight, and may also be open on Sundays (Highways were unable to guarantee this at time of writing).
- When it is closed, Highways will offer essential access for deliveries, disable drivers going to the pharmacy and so on.
- In order to make this access possible, the High Street will temporarily become a two-way street. To enable this, much of the parking in the High Street will be suspended.
- The current plan is that with the introduction of Saturday working (and Sunday if necessary) all the work at the Library Junction and High Street will be completed by 26 August 2023.
Quaperlake Street, Patwell Street and Station Road (as far as the railway bridge)
- Will be closed for re-surfacing work from 23 to 26 August. At time of writing we do not know whether this will be 24/7, and whether all these roads will be closed.
- The closure of Quaperlake Street will be ‘from the junction with Coombe Street, to the junction with Patwell Street’, ie a very short stretch just outside the Library. We are not yet clear whether there will be access to and from Coombe Street into Quaperlake Street.
- This work too should be completed by 26 August 2023.