What we do

Parish Map

The boundary of Bruton Town Council’s area

Bruton Town Council is one of the three councils serving Bruton residents. This can lead to a great deal of confusion when people simply refer to “The Council”!

The majority of powers and services, and the Council Tax we pay, is the responsibility of either Somerset County Council (SCC) or South Somerset District Council (SSDC).

Somerset County Council, based in Taunton, is  the largest authority and is responsible for schools, roads, children’s services and libraries, among others things. South Somerset District Council, based in Yeovil, is responsible for a wide range of activities including planning, waste services and many leisure facilities.

Bruton Town Council has the smallest budget and most restricted remit of the three, but it is also the most local, focussed entirely on the needs of Bruton parish. The key responsibilities for Bruton town Council include:

  • We are lease holders of Jubilee Park
  • We give a local view of all planning applications in the area to SSDC
  • We fund the town community office
  • We take the lead in transport planning, in particular road safety
  • We give grants to local organisations and events, including the Packhorse Fair and Spiral of Light
  • We take the lead in providing parking facilities in the town
  • We organise and fund the toilet access scheme
  • We maintain a number of public spaces, including the Riverside Walk
  • We maintain children’s play facilities in the town
  • We provide allotments
  • We maintain St Mary’s churchyard, and the Frome Road cemetery
  • We work with other local organisations to devise a plan for Bruton’s growth and development as an excellent place to live, and to implement it

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support